Happy second day of Christmas everyone!
I have spent the whoooooole day today doing Christmassy things, including spending about 6 hours in the kitchen whipping up some delicious treats for parties and gifts. And snacking. There’s been lots of snacking…
For the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…
(Spicy German gingerbread cookies)
I got this delicious pfeffernüsse recipe from my new favourite cookbook, The Baking Collection by the Australian Women’s Weekly. The bookstore at my work had a fantastic sale last week, so I decided to treat myself to an early Christmas present.
- 125 g butter
- 165 g brown sugar
- 125 g molasses
- 1 egg
- 350 g plain flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- icing sugar to coat biscuits
- Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Cover two baking trays with baking paper.
- Melt butter over low heat. Add brown sugar and molasses and stir until fully combined.
- Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool. Stir in egg, flour, spices, pepper and baking soda and mix well. Mixture should be thick and sticky.
- Using a spoon and 1 tbs of batter, form a small sphere and place it on the covered baking tray. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Bake for around 15-20 minutes, or until firm. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Placing icing sugar and a few biscuits at a time in a small bowl, cover well.
- Eat about 20, because these things are delicious, particularly with a cup of tea or a nice glass of mulled wine! Grown-up gingerbread. :)
Miss yesterday’s post? Check out the the first day of Christmas: Jingle Bell Rock. See you tomorrow!